Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thank God for rotten vegetables

I can always tell how busy we’ve been by the number of rotten vegetables I have to throw out when I finally get around to cleaning out the refrigerator. Today was that day of reckoning. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would put us at around a 9.8.

The worst one was the drippy bag of decomposed lettuce I pulled from the crisper drawer. There are not too many things grosser than that.

Whenever I am in these situations in which I am having to suppress my gag reflex, it helps me to contemplate the putridity of sin. This chore of cleaning out a neglected refrigerator this morning led me to reflect upon the times in my life when I was “too busy” even to remember God, how He had provided me with a treasure trove of nutritious delights, and I had let them spoil.

Thank you, God, for this reminder. You are so good to communicate things to me according to the mode in which I am most readily available to receive them, in the ordinary experiences of everyday life.

3 comments:

  1. Beth, what a wonderful analogy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Broccoli and cauliflower are the worst when it comes to stinkers :)
    Like you, it bothers me to waste nutritious food and I have been really working on this area. We are blessed to have both:

    -plenty of food to eat
    -and forgiveness for our "putrid" sins

    God is good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so glad that we are not the only ones that have a neglected refrigerator. This happens more often than I would care to admit. I like the analogy of how we let the treasure trove of nutritious delights He provides for us spoil in our neglect. This is an area I too need work on, both literally in our refrigerator and spiritually in my heart.

    ReplyDelete